The Bionics by Alicia Michaels
Title: The Bionics
Series: The Bionics Novels, Book 1
Author: Alicia Michaels
Published: February 10th, 2015
Publisher: Crimson Tree Publishing
Genre: NA Paranormal Romance
Content Warning: Coarse language, mild sexual innuendo
Recommended Age: 16+
All Blythe Sol ever wanted was to be a normal girl. Yet, her dreams of following in her father’s footsteps by joining the military after graduation are crushed when nuclear war comes to the United States in the year 4006. Tens of thousands are killed in a series of attacks on many major cities, while thousands more are left injured from the devastation of the blasts, or terminally ill from the effects of radiation.
When the government offers the sick and injured a second chance as part of the Restoration Project, how could they refuse? Hoping to put her life back together after the blasts take both her arm and her eye, Blythe enrolls in the program filled with hope. She never expects that the bionic additions will change her life so drastically. When it is discovered that those outfitted with the robotic parts have become enhanced beyond the limits of ordinary human ability, normal can never exist for her again.
The Bionics become targets of the government, as fear of them spreads across the nation, further enflamed by media propaganda and political conspiracy. Forced to go into hiding or face execution, society’s outcasts band together to form the Restoration Resistance—an underground rebellion which Blythe becomes a part of in order to survive. She could never imagine that joining them would thrust her at the forefront of an imminent revolution, or that it would put her in a confusing tug-of-war between two of her fellow soldiers—Gage Bronson, the mysterious new addition to the Resistance, and Dax Janner, her best friend. Even though Gage is rapidly capturing her heart, she is forced to face the possibility that her feelings for Dax might just go beyond friendship. However, with impending war and the threat of death hanging over her head, Blythe hardly has time to worry about anything as trivial as a love life…
About the Author:
Ever since she first read books like Chronicles of Narnia or Goosebumps, Alicia has been a lover of mind-bending fiction. Wherever imagination takes her, she is more than happy to call that place her home. The mother of two and wife to an Army sergeant loves chocolate, coffee, and of course good books. When not writing, you can usually find her with her nose in a book, shopping for shoes and fabulous jewelry, or spending time with her loving family.
Crimson Tree Publishing Links:
- When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer? I always loved books, and that translated into a love for fiction and storytelling. I wrote my first book at the age of 12 and ever since have always written.
- What would you say is your interesting writing quirk? I like to give my characters my own traits. Not one of them is completely me, but each of them has a part of me as their personality. It makes it easier for me to relate to them and write from their point of view.
- Where did you get ideas for your books? Songs, movies, books, people watching, conversations … the possibilities for inspiration are endless!
- Out of all the books you have written which is your favorite and why? That’s like asking me to choose from among my firstborn children! That is a very hard one. I have to say The Resistance, which is book 2 in The Bionics Novels (Releasing in March). It’s action-packed, sexy, gritty, poignant … it has everything I love about a book.
- What age group do you think best describes your reader? Why? While my books are geared mostly to young adults (and new adults), I think any age group can enjoy them. I will say they are tailored more to women than men, but have known men to enjoy them as well.
- What do you think makes a good story? A good story is all about its characters. You can write fantastic descriptions using all sorts of big, fancy words, and you can incorporate every plot twist and trope known to man, but if your characters are flat, the reader cannot connect with the story. A write must use them to connect with the reader on an emotional level.
- Who are some of your favorite Authors? Wow, that’s hard. There are many! Georgie RR Martin, Loretta Chase, Julia Quinn, C.S. Lewis … there are a lot more but I won’t take up too much time listing them.
- If you could pick one actor to play a character in your book in the movie version, who would it be? I love Jurnee Smollet (who got her start on Full House, and went on to star in Friday Night Lights, and True Blood). Not only does she look like Blythe, she has the passion and presence to pull off the character.
- What song best describes your book and Why? Wow, that’s a tough one. There are actually three songs that I’d choose. Radioactive by Imagine Dragons, Phoenix by Fall Out Boy, and Let Freedom Reign by Chrisette Michele. All three songs bring to mind, revolution, change, patriotism, war … everything that The Bionics is.
- Who are some of the people that influenced your love of writing? My parents, my Aunt Anne who always bought me books as gifts instead of toys, my high school AP English teachers from junior and senior years, Coach Jackson and Miss Stalder.
- If you had one piece of advice for an aspiring Author, what would it be? Always be true to your voice. It defines who you are as a writer. Also, never stop writing and striving to improve your craft.
- What would you like to say to friends and family of writers (not just your own)? Be supportive and encourage. Don’t patronize. Being a writer, an author, is a job. It is hard work. We don’t write because we can’t do anything else, or are lazy. We do it because it’s the only thing in the world we can imagine doing. Oh, and don’t tell us all your ideas for books we should write. It’s annoying.
- What projects do you have up and coming? I’m always working on something. Currently, I’m working on a short story for an anthology of Shakespeare classics reworked with a YA theme. I am using Othello as material for my story. I am also finishing up book 4 in my YA Fantasy series, The Lost Kingdom of Fallada.
There is a tour wide giveaway. Prizes include the following:
- A bookmark swag pack, winner’s choice of any Clean Teen Publishing eBook, and a $15 Amazon gift card.
Giveaway is International.